(Click here for a printable version.)
How to Upload Files & Folders from a Desktop/Laptop to Google Drive
- Login to the school network using your desktop/laptop computer.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Either click on the Apps waffle or go to drive.google.com to open Drive.
- From your Drive, click the red New button.
- Choose either File upload or Folder upload.
- This will bring up a window that shows the files/folders stored on your computer. This view will be slightly different, depending upon your machine (Mac or PC).
- You can Drag & Drop the files into your Drive, or follow these steps:
- Highlight the File(s) or Folder(s) you wish to upload. Use Shift + Click to highlight a series of documents right in a row, or Ctrl + Click for multiple documents that are not located next to each other. Then click Choose, Open, or Upload (depending on your machine).
- A box with a black banner will pop up near the bottom of your screen. This will show the progress of the file/folder upload. Once the upload is complete, you may share the file/folder, minimize the window, or close the window. The file/folder is now located in your Drive.
- Occasionally, Microsoft Office documents with heavy formatting (graphics, text boxes, etc.) may not open “the right way”. If this happens, while the document is open, click File > Save as Google Docs (or Sheets or Slides). It will convert Microsoft Office materials into the Google equivalent by making a copy (your original will still be there).
You can also use a USB flash drive or external hard drive to transfer files to your Chromebook.
Load the files from your desktop/laptop to the flash drive or hard drive.
Connect the external device to your Chromebook, then click on the apps list button and select Files to open the file manager.
You can drag and drop the files from there.
For additional help, please see this support.google.com page.